This morning's pep talk and info session was kept pretty short because of the drizzle, but I have a couple of tips to share:
- Eat or drink within 1/2 hour of finishing your run. And water doesn't count, you need something to replace the electrolytes lost during your run. Gatorade, granola bar, banana etc...you will feel much better in the afternoon because you'll avoid the crash that causes you to want a nice long recovery nap!
- Cotton is BAD to run in, especially in rainy, cold weather. It holds 3 times more moisture than other fabrics which can make you miserable on a run as you carry the extra weight, freeze the entire time and probably chafe in unpleasant places. (I am SO in need of a shopping trip!)
- Stretching before a run is BAD. The analogy we were given involves silly putty... Think about when you first take silly putty out of its little egg, if you immediately try to stretch it out it will break. Your ligaments are the same way. Instead of stretching for a warm up, walk or VERY SLOWLY jog for 1/2 a mile. This will get your legs nice and warmed up before you really let loose into your run. DEFINITELY stretch after your cool down, for at least 10 minutes.
Today's workout was 1/4 mile walk, 1-1/2 mile run (woohoo!), 1/4 mile walk. I ran the whole 1-1/2 miles even though most of the group is still run/walking. I'm getting a little impatient with these shorter distances but we'll get up to longer runs in no time. The next group up is already at 3.5 miles which is way too big of a jump for me. So, I will continue to be patient because I am determined to not overdo it and injure myself!!! This morning we were still running on the track and sadly I didn't have my hubby with me to run with (he hurt his back and was sore in bed) so I was REALLY bored. I'll definitely be taking my ipod with me next time if I don't have a buddy...
When I got back from the track I put together a bowl of apple-pumpkin oats.
- 1 cup prepared rolled oats
- splash of Silk vanilla soymilk
- 1/4 can of pumpkin puree'
- 3/4 small pink lady apple
- pom seeds
Yum! The bowl was huge though and VERY filling so I only ate about 3/4s of it. I also had a bite of Brian's breakfast sandwich which was AMAZING!!!
- 1 Bodo's Everything Bagel (I buy a bunch at a time and freeze them for Brian's breakfasts)
- 1 fried egg (in a tsp of olive oil)
- 1 Morningstar veggie sausage patty (these are sooooooooooo good!!!!!)
- 1 slice sharp cheddar cheese
Man I miss those breakfasts....
My BSI recipe just came out of the oven!!! I will post it this afternoon...
Forgot to mention that I had a slice of banana apple bread before my run.