"Healthified" Baked Ziti
makes 12 servings
calories: 286 fat: 8.3g sat fat: 3g carbs: 37.1g fiber: 2.4g sugar: 6.4g protein: 15.4g
- 16 oz brown rice penne pasta
- 1 jar marinara sauce (about 3 cups)
- 15 oz container of fat free ricotta cheese (I used Sorrento)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, browned
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- Boil noodles until al dente and drain. If using brown rice pasta noodles beware...they only take a few minutes to soften.
- Brown sausage on medium heat in non-stick pan.
- In large bowl, mix pasta and sausage together.
- In smaller bowl, mix together ricotta and marinara sauce. Pour ricotta/sauce mixture into bowl with pasta and sausage and toss until coated.
- Spread mixture in 9x13 pan and top with shredded cheese (I used a bit of cheddar/jack because I ran out of mozzarella).
- Pop in oven at 350* for 30 minutes.
Dinner: I had one serving of ziti, which was PLENTY for me. (Just picture cutting the shorter width into 3 pieces and the long width into 4 pieces). I think Brian had three... I also made a giant spinach salad with
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm (love love love love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
- 1/2 a chopped celery stalk
- 1 tbsp Ken's Lite Ranch
- sprinkle of sliced almonds
And a Pellegrino White Cranberry Juice bevi...
And for dessert, my FAVORITE sorbet, Ciao Bella!!! (in blood orange flavor...yum!) This stuff is amazing, trust me. And only 98 calories for 1/2 cup. Yum.
I am now completely and totally full and satisfied. :) Are there any classic favorite comfort food recipes that you've "healthified"?