These fig almond blondies are for Beth. Happy birthday dear friend.
This recipe comes from VeggieGirl. I said last night that Jen @ Running With Food can cook...well, VeggieGirl can bake!!! This is the second blondie recipe I've tried of hers, and it is definitely a winner in my household. I will be holding both her Fig Almond Blondie and her Pear Pistachio Ginger Blondie recipes near and dear for a long time.
Fig Almond Blondies
adapted slightly from VeggieGirl's Fig Almond Blondie recipe
makes 16 blondies
- 6oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (next time I will try whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 10 dried Turkish figs, chopped
- soymilk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350* and spray 8x8 cooking pan with oil
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, applesauce, sugar, vanilla and molasses together.
- In the same bowl, add the flour, baking soda, almonds and figs. As the mixture combines it will thicken, add a splash of soymilk as needed to help mix. Don't add too much!!!
- Spread batter into greased 8x8 pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
A quick recap of today's eats so far...
Breakfast: Oats! I'm so in love with my normal combo, I just can't get enough! This morning I stepped it up an extra notch by adding dried figs. Yum! The fig seeds added perfect little bits of crunch.
Lunch: Leftovers! I know I promised another wrap, but when I opened the fridge this morning and saw a perfect lunch-sized portion of leftover pot pie and collard greens, I couldn't resist.
Snack: 1/2 cup Fage 0% and 5 lovely strawberries. I have to say, I'm really loving the Fage. Its making me miss my Oikos less and less each day...
Tonight the hubb and I are going over to our friend Amy's house for dinner, which is why I'm posting a bit early. I'm making a quick lasagna recipe that I'm really excited to try and can't wait to share the results with you tomorrow!
Be sure to check out Oh She Glows for a fabulous Honest Foods Giveaway!
Have a great night! :)