Breakfast: Ezekiel plain english muffin (so good!), 1 tsp whipped Earth Balance, 2 egg whites scrambled with spinach and a small slice of pepper jack cheese. Also, 1/2 an apple. Yum! The pepper jack cheese was the perfect spicy touch on my egg sandwich...loved it!
Lunch: a salmon spinach salad. I had about 2.5oz of salmon leftover from last night, 1/2 cup of TJ's Harvest Blends and 2 cups of fresh spinach. I also crumbled 4 walnut halves on top and squeezed blood orange juice all over it. SO TASTY!!! I'm usually a little weary of leftover fish, but I actually really loved the salmon icy cold on top of a salad. Also, a blood orange.
Snacks: I forgot to take pictures! :( I had a single-serve Oikos, blueberry flavor, at 3:30 and a Quaker True Delights granola bar at 5:00. Both were delicious and kept me fueled for yoga.
Exercise: YOGA!!! Oh how I love going to classes. Tonight I tried out a new studio that several friends have recommended numerous times. They are running a special right now that all new students can sign up for unlimited classes for one month for only $50!!! I jumped on that, so you'll be seeing lots of yoga workouts popping up on the blog for the next 4 weeks. WooHoo! :) I'm excited to improve my balancing and upper body strength...I am majorly lacking in that area of yoga. Tonight's class was a 90 minute Intro to Ashtanga. I've always gone to Vinyasa classes, which are very similar to Ashtanga, but I think Ashtanga has the potential to be more strenuous. Both are considered to be power yoga, and both leave me dripping with sweat. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to trying out more classes at the studio! :)
I wasn't sure how to count my calories...myfooddiary isn't too specific. They just break up yoga into "power" and "stretching". So I counted 60 minutes of "power" and 30 minutes of "stretching", figuring I was REALLY working for at least 2/3's the class, and the other 1/3 was warm-up and cool-down. Anybody have any other suggestions?
My hubb and I cooked dinner together tonight. I love that! We made a healthier version of lasagna, inspired by the Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites Cookbook, one of my faves.
Dinner: "healthified" veggie lasagna and a small glass of cabernet
[about 550 cal]
This lasagna was SO good, and while we couldn't eat it every night, it is so much healthier than my old meaty, cheesy, creamy versions from the past.
Healthified Veggie Lasagna [inspired by the Moosewood Cafe Low-Fat Favorites Cookbook]
443 calories, 11.9g fat, 4.9g sat fat, 59.6g carbs, 6.3g fiber, 21.5g protein
- 16oz brown rice lasagna noodles, cooked until al dente'
- one jar of marinara sauce, about 3 cups
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small jar of sliced olives
- salt + pepper
- Boil lasagna noodles until al dente, set aside. Preheat oven to 350*.
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Saute garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of wine and stir well. Add tomatoes and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse spinach and drain. Place in sauce pan and cover, turning heat to medium high. Stir occasionally, until spinach is wilted. (Should cook with just water clinging to leaves after rinsing). Chop spinach and mix together with cottage cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of marinara sauce into bottom of 9x13 glass pan. Add one layer of noodles. Spoon 1/3 of veggies (use slotted spoon) on top of noodles. Add 1/3 of cheese/spinach mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 of olives on top. Add another layer of noodles. Spoon 1/2 cup of sauce on top of noodles, then veggies, cheese mixture and olives. Repeat. Add one final layer of noodles and last of sauce on top. Sprinkle last 1/2 cup of mozzarella across top.
- Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
Must. Go. To. Bed. G'night! :)
Edited to Add
- calories consumed = 1492
- calories expelled = 400
- net calories = 1092
Light again! I'm really not meaning too...I'll grab a date before bed. Promise. :)