Breakfast: banana, date, flax, almond butter oats...yum! I woke up thinking about this breakfast, and it totally hit the spot. I tried the Heart Healthy portion (3/4 cup) I've been seeing pop up in the blog world to see if it would make my bowl stick with me longer, but I was still hungry right at noon. I think I'll stick with my standard 1/2 cup from now on, to keep my calories a little lower.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1-1/2 cup water, pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup mashed bananas
- 1 tsp real maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground flax
- 1 chopped date
- 1 tbsp almond butter
Lunch: 1/2 slice veggie lasagna and a bell pepper/cucumber salad
The lasagna was excellent reheated for lunch, just like it should be. :) My salad contained:
- 1 cup red and orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
Snack: 3/4 cup cottage cheese. I didn't eat my apple, too busy and not hungry enough. I also had 3 large green olives while preparing dinner with my hubb.
Dinner: the best split pea soup I've ever had! And a slice of homemade honey wheat bread that I pulled out of the freezer.
I've never made split pea soup before, but it was so easy and so deliciously warming on this very cold winter night. The hot italian sausage added the perfect amount of heat, just at the back of the throat. It was the perfect complement to the sweetness of the peas and carrots. And the rosemary? Divine. Just the right touch of earthiness. This soup has made its way solidly to our list of regulars, I feel certain.
Split Pea + Sausage Soup [inspired by the kitchen sink, adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen]
makes 6 servings
375 calories, 15.4g fat, 5g sat. fat, 59.5g carbs, 23g fiber, 34g protein
- 2.5 cups dried green split peas
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups of water
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 pound hot italian sausage
- 2 medium leeks, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- salt + pepper
- Rinse and drain peas. Sort and pick out bad peas.
- Combine water, broth, peas, celery, rosemary, parsley and bay leaf in large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a brisk simmer. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until peas start to split apart.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in skillet. Once browned, add too soup pot.
- Saute' leeks and carrots until soft, about 10 minutes. Add to soup pot along with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer (briskly) for about 20 more minutes, until peas get pretty mushy. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- calories consumed = 1,452
- calories expelled = none other than the usual...
- net calories = 1,452